MAKE A DIFFERENCE
We are always looking for enthusiastic, dedicated volunteers who feel passionately about empowering refugee youth to reach their highest potential. There are so many ways to help! We have opportunities to fit your schedule, interests, and skills. You do NOT need to be in a special group to volunteer with PAIR, nor do you have to be a college student. We accept volunteers age 16 and above (with parental permission if you are under 18).
Volunteer Mentor Opportunities
- After School Program Volunteers participate in group mentoring and other activities during a set after-school program schedule from September through April. After school program opportunities during the academic year require a weekly commitment for a minimum of one academic semester either fall and/or spring, though volunteers are highly encouraged to continue for a full academic year to build a better relationship with their students and increase their own skills and effectiveness. Must be 16 or older. Some programs do require teh completion of a background check.
- Global Learners Individual Mentors meet with a middle school student (Learners) weekly between 7:30 and 8:30 AM on Thursday mornings. Must be 18 or older and able to pass a background check.
- Global Scholars Individual Mentors meet with a high school student (Leaders) regularly at a time and place arranged by each mentor/mentee pair to work on college access and career exploration curriculum. Must be 21 or older and able to pass a background and motor vehicle check.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Translators may assist program staff in translating documents or communicating with students or their families. We have an ongoing need for a variety of languages, including but not limited to: Nepali, Arabic, French, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, and Urdu.
- Advisors lend their brainpower and expertise on various organizational projects. Contact Jennifer Garmon, Executive Director, to share your talents.
- For opportunities involving our 2018 Youth Empowerment Luncheon, please contact Board Chair, Christina Triantaphyllis.
** There is currently no program that can accept Group Volunteers. Please check back soon as we are hoping to provide group opportunities in the future.
Benefits of Volunteering
- the chance to impact the life of a young person
- exposure to social issues of concern in our community and the world
- experience working with people from diverse cultures
- the opportunity to develop your communication and leadership skills
the opportunity to provide holistic support to a young person through programs that promote social, emotional, and academic development
If you have questions before filling out a program volunteer application, or would like to get involved in another opportunity, you can fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you.